Monday, October 14, 2013

Thanksgiving....

A couple of minutes ago I thought I had a perfect idea. I say perfect because perfect ideas settle in my mind with absolute, joyous perfection immediately as they are first thought. The idea was to blog a list of things I'm thankful for. Then I realized it is thanksgiving today. Inspired perfection turned dreadful cliche. After recovering from the disappointment I decided to go ahead with the idea anyways.

I normally stop myself short when I start thinking of the things I'm thankful for because, like happiness, I have this unacknowledged apprehension that once I acknowledge it, it will disappear. Or that I’m not supposed to be thankful/happy. I have no idea why I think that. A lie that I’ve believed. To be attacked with truth.

So you shall rejoice in every good thing which the Lord your God has given to you and your house, you and the Levite and the stranger who is among you (Deut 26:11).

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). 


THUS
God, thanks for freeing me to be thankful by letting me see and believe truth. Though I most often don’t acknowledge it, a lot of things do make me very glad. And I have You to thank for them. Here are some of them! (Not in any order).

1. Space Oddity by David Bowie
2. The way pianos and guitars can be played without any skill and still sound absolute gorgeous.
3. The way they sound gorgeous beyond comprehension when they are played with skill.
4. 8tracks.
5. Delicious smells that carry vivid memories and strong emotion.
6. That I don’t need to worry about anything, and actually am not supposed to.
7. That you've put people in my life who really do care about me and understand me.

8. The human capability of singing.
9. How sunshine produces astounding colour.
10. SWIMMING IN RIVERS AND LAKES.
11. Boats.
12. When I really imagined and loved heaven for the first time two nights ago.
13. When I pray and then I remember that I totally love You.
14. People who guide and encourage me.
15. how time passing makes me full of awe, seeing the change in the world, myself and others and seeing things that never change.
16. Food that tastes delicious and treats my body wonderfully.
17. Enjoying things in moderation.
18. Hope that isn't at all related to what I do with my life; that I can't mess up.
19. Confusion and struggle and angst that make my life interesting and teach me things I could never learn otherwise. 
20. The promise that I will abide with God in His perfect love, joy, wisdom and peace.