Sunday, October 20, 2013

Obsessive-Compulsive Knowledge Hoarder

Wow is blogging ever a world in itself.

It's finally happened with blogging, what happens with every other thing I learn. I get introduced to something new, I dabble around in shallow waters for a while, enjoying the quiet bliss of acquiring small yet significant new skills/concepts/successes. Then after enjoying the blissful feeling of progressing well, of having overcome newbie-dom and conquered some unknowns, I jump into waters in which I have no hope of ever plumbing their depth or breadth. 

I'm a chronic knowledge-seeker who feeds on the excitement of discovery and the sequential mastery of new understanding. The thrills of newbie blogging: inserting my first html code, photo shopping my first header design, learning about common blogger widgets such as nRelate and AddThis, understanding previously foreign blogging jargon. 

Then all of a sudden I land on someone's blog and realize that the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to create what they've created are vastly beyond me. I have no idea how most bloggers do even 1/100th of their blog formatting.

And then I panic and start trying to amass as much knowledge as I can for no other purpose then to amass knowledge. I mean I'm trying to add all these formats and widgets and whatever-else to my blog because someone else did it and I HAVE TO KNOW HOW.

Thankfully, this time sooner rather then later, I realized that I don't even want to put those things on my blog. I don't need those things on my blog. I am just an obsessive-compulsive knowledge hoarder.

I'm not sure why I have this unfailing, unconscious, tyrannical drive to know everything. It's potentially my greatest struggle to accept the fact that I can't know everything, or even get close to it. Some people, when I tell them I think I'm supposed to know everything, flippantly say "But you can't" like, because it's true, it should be simple for me to just say 'oh well' and move on with my life. But it's really not. Really. I go insane trying to figure everything out and mostly I would prefer to be insane than not to know. 

Most of the problems I have can be traced back to this tendency.

What do you think I can do about this?
What do you think the gospel has to say about it?