Monday, October 28, 2013

Jonathan Edward's Resolutions

Jonathan Edwards had a will-power the likes of which I can't even begin to comprehend (or perhaps it is rather a faith in Christ the likes of which I can't comprehend). He wrote and lived by a list of very demanding Resolutions. I can hardly even bear the imagining of how heavy such weight would be on the mind, desiring to accomplish so much all at once. 

Most of his resolutions scare me, and many seem to come from a place of understanding, seriousness of faith and desperation that I don't think I've yet come to, but there are certain ones that I currently dream of having the faith to live by. Perhaps you might be inspired by them as well, and might go forward in faith to practice them. 

Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.

Resolved, that I will not give way to that listlessness which I find unbends and relaxes my mind from being fully and fixedly set on religion [on Christ], whatever excuse I may have for it-that what my listlessness inclines me to do, is best to be done, etc.

Resolved, whenever my feelings begin to appear in the least out of order, when I am conscious of the least uneasiness within, or the least irregularity without, I will then subject myself to the strictest examination.

Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

Resolved, never to count that a prayer, nor to let that pass as a prayer, nor that as a petition of a prayer, which is so made, that I cannot hope that God will answer it; nor that as a confession, which I cannot hope God will accept.

Resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it.

Resolved, whenever I do any conspicuously evil action, to trace it back, till I come to the original cause; and then both carefully endeavor to do so no more, and to fight and pray with all my might against the original of it.

Resolved, to improve every opportunity, when I am in the best and happiest frame of mind, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to trust and confide in him, and consecrate myself wholly to him; that from this I may have assurance of my safety, knowing that I confide in my Redeemer

Resolved, very much to exercise myself in this all my life long, with the greatest openness I am capable of, to declare my ways to God, and lay open my soul to him: all my sins, temptations, difficulties, sorrows, fears, hopes, desires, and every thing, and every circumstance.

Resolved, never to give over, nor in the least to slacken my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be.

Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.


See the full list of his 70 Resolutions here.