Friday, October 4, 2013

FISH MONEY

And Jesus is all like: "Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for me and you" (Matt 17:27).

Can you believe this Guy?!

If He can do that, He can do anything. Like read minds and kill fig trees.

And then He goes and says things like "Whatever things you ask for when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them" (Mark 11:24).

No amount of my own reasoning and testing will ever get me to the point where I understand how (forget why) Jesus got money from a fish mouth. 

So, besides the fact that anyone who believes this stuff should stop trying to pretend like they will fit in just fine with the people who don’t (I accuse myself), someone who believes in fish money should be living significantly differently because of it.

Get it through your thick skull. Someone who believes in fish money cannot claim worldly wisdom. Someone who believes in fish money is doomed to appearing foolish (stop trying to avoid it). Someone who believes in fish money is plunged into a second childhood wherein they are utterly naive to the reality in which they now live. And, without hope of figuring anything out for themselves, they have no other choice but trust their Guardian (Mom, Pop..).

And in this analogy it’s not even that simple because your Guardian was a human a lot of years ago. Fortunately, He has sent you all the things He knows you will need in a book. Unfortunately, you think you don’t need to read the book. Ask yourself, what do you understand about fish money? NOTHING. You had better get reading.

The reality is, we live in a reality in which we are dependent on Someone else to survive. And He's told you that in numerous ways (I paraphrase: You NEED to trust me). 

If you want to survive that is. 

I know what’s going down, I know what you need, you don’t even understand fish money. And I know it’s hard for you to trust Me, so I've given you a lot of sentences to keep reminding yourself of, so you will know and remember the truth. I know the truth, and I’m inviting you in on it, and the truth is REALLY great. It’s got all the good stuff like love and forgiveness and joy.

If you want to do right in this world then you need to abide in what I say. Without Me you will become lost and helpless. And you will do unwise things because you cannot see the bigger picture. You will do things that hurt Me, that hurt others, and that hurt yourself... and you will bear the responsibility for that.


“Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matt 18:3).

“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:17).

And Jesus is all like: "Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for me and you" (Matt 17:27).

FISH MONEY!