Friday, October 11, 2013

Happy = Scary

Blogging has proved to be more difficult than I imagined. Knowing that people are reading most definitely alters what I choose to write. Even though I’m trying not to be selective about what I say, there are some vulnerabilities that I’m more comfortable with showing than others. 

I’m actually more comfortable displaying my over analytic, skeptical and pessimistic thoughts than my joyful, trusting and unconcerned ones. My unhappy thoughts feel logical and well-defended. My happy thoughts feel extremely unsound and easily dismissible. (Also, I frequent the former more than the latter, which means I think and write more often by the former, which means this blog is going to be mostly a downer, hopefully hitting infrequent yet spectacular highs).

So I struggle with being ‘thought-out unhappy’ and then all of a sudden switching to simply ‘happy’. It feels like I’m betraying my own credibility. I can logic myself into unhappy but I can never logic myself into happy. Happy arrives when analyzing stops and I just believe – believe that you are funny, believe that you think I’m funny, believe that life is great (even though I can’t explain it or prove it).  Happy falls upon me unexpectedly. I can’t find happy, happy finds me.

(I just now realized that ‘happiness is a choice’ is popular and very pretty opinion.... it appears that I’m arguing against that.....oops).

Anyways, my public writing favours unhappy because unhappy is defendable and readily accessible, while happy is reason-resistant and illusive.

It's normal for me to often get myself into really despairing and confused mental states because I think too much about everything and take everything very seriously. I’ve been told that a good remedy for my unhappiness would be to stop thinking so much, but most of the time I would rather be unhappy than stop thinking. Something for another time, that one.

Happy doesn’t sit well with me the same way trusting God doesn’t sit well with me. It disposes of my constant thinking. It’s out of my control. I can’t find it, it find’s me. I despise it when I don’t have it because it seems so flimsy. But then I realize that even if I don’t want it, I need it. And then I sit around hoping for it and waiting for it but still despising it because it’s beyond me.

So all of that said, letting my mind be seen in the throes of happiness is terribly frightening, yet still more frightening is letting my mind be seen in the throes of trusting God.

Ideally all this messy preamble served the purpose of bearing the following:

I am very afraid of trusting God.

I am also very afraid of giving over my life to Him.

I’m extremely frightened of letting go of everything else in order to have Him.

I’m not a fan of having people watch my strength fall to bits knowing that it was the result of me trying to believe God.

I’m also not a fan of having absolutely no confidence in myself because I believe that all of my confidence is supposed to be in Jesus.

I despise being totally embarrassed by my weakness.

I despise that I have to surrender my own pursuits of wisdom and success and happiness in order to try to gain Christ.

I despise that the way to Christ isn’t in my control.

However, what I do not at all despise, but rather entirely love, are the times when I have finally come so pathetically to the end of myself that I end up before God without a shred of courage. I’m there praying without any of my own strength left and then all of a sudden I am inexplicably, completely trusting of God. Faith that is beyond me and is absolutely perfect. All the blind struggle necessary to get to that point is more than worth it because there finds me the joy of believing as God rejoices to be believed.

That, my dears, is God-trusting honesty that makes me recoil when I read it. It reeks of poorly poetic mumbo jumbo, yet it’s true and I’m simply not capable of logically depicting the realness of it.