Thursday, October 3, 2013

Summer Job and Selfishness

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:2).

I just spent my summer working a housekeeping job at a five star resort and spa in Muskoka, Ontario. And the degree to which I allowed myself to live in the world for those 4 months really messed with my head. Obviously I was not keeping myself grounded in God’s Word. I began picking up thought-patterns that enable worldly thriving.

My life is about me. I need to do what makes me the happiest. Hang out with whoever makes me feel great, cultivate whatever lifestyle will benefit me the most (comfort financially, outlet and recognition for my talents), stand up for myself and believe myself to be deserving of the best. Find confidence and respect in sharing my accomplishments. Don’t say or act in ways that will make people embarrassed by you or dislike you (i.e. do not openly speak and practice many biblical beliefs... definitely not that you believe yourself and others to be sinning). Make achieving physical beauty a high priority. Love yourself.

Sometimes when I think these things they seem perfectly acceptable, normal. Other times I am absolutely appalled by how deceitfully innocent they seem – how I managed to miss (unknowingly or otherwise) that they are rooted in selfishness. It’s hard to acknowledge that what I think is appropriate self-edification is actually evidence of my sinfulness and rebellion against God. I cannot help but idolize, protect and promote myself if I want to survive in the world, that is, without completely surrendering my life’s value to God.

I want to love. I want to serve others before myself. I want to love God above all else. These are biblical concepts that I adore and desire. But I have my evidence from this summer – if I dispose of God it is then necessary for me to be selfish to survive. I hate my selfishness, but I cannot defeat it simply by choosing to place others before me... doing so will leave me worthless and crushed. I need to surrender to the step that I would usually prefer to skip, the step that I cannot fathom nor achieve in my own efforts, that is to love God above all else. Die to myself so that it is Christ who lives in me. So that it is Christ who carries me – life by His confidence, His worth, His power, His unconditional love – and it is then possible to live according to the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

I am tired of finding myself having failed by believing that I could attain God’s glorious standard by depending on my own thoughts and efforts. How foolish I am to think that I will live this day according to God’s will without being utterly and completely surrendered to and immersed in Him. My selfishness exhausts me. It seems undefeatable and to be waiting to pounce on me with every new thought. The irony of it is that I am usually searching myself to find the strength and reasoning to make myself depend on God. I’m not sure I even know how to only search God for the strength to trust God. I’m my own stumbling block, stumbling over myself trying to get to God. 20 years of self-focus has cemented a self-dependence reflex that will be the death of me. Jesus help me.